|Scope & Content
9" x 4" ink blotter with black and red ink on cream paper with a picture of the 1888 Merchants National Bank building plus historical notes and an advertisement for Klopp Printing. "Merchant's National Bank - 13th and Farnam Streets. Thirteenth and Farnam Streets developed from a frontier outfitting post to the financial center of Omaha. Small frame buildings with false fronts were replaced in the 1880's by handsome and substantial buildings in the current architectural style emerging from European sources...The Merchants National Bank Building was erected in 1888 at a cost of $180,000. Its officers were Frank Murphy, President; Samuel E. Rogers, Vice-President; and Ben Wood, Cashier. The business was founded in 1882, succeeding the State Bank of Nebraska founded in 1868, which succeeded the family business of J.A. Ware & Co., founded in 1866. The Merchants National was absorbed by the Omaha National Bank in 1926...The old building still stands shorn of much of its splendor but still a fond memory of early days when men associated with Klopp served pioneer Omaha. Men and women now associated with the name KLOPP are a second and third generation who are proud to accept the present responsibilites of craftsmanship and service - the tradition of their business - begun in Omaha in 1867. With The Name KLOPP Are Associated men of ideas, with craftsmanship and machines to produce Printing and Lithographing Phone ATlantic 5300 for Understanding Service."